Saturday, January 12, 2013

A Way to Make Happiness a Habit





     I was in the shower and I was having some random thoughts. What came to mind was God’s grace. What if his grace was like a bank account. And that account went bankrupt.  What would that do to us?  There would be no grace left to go around. And the bad that we have done and the good that we do wouldn’t matter because there would be no account to deposit it in.  And then I thought thank God that the price has been paid for all that we have done. Without grace we would definitely be in trouble. So sense the price has been paid, I’m going to do what I can do to give back. I will try to give my time and my talent and what money that I have to positive causes so that I can do whatever I can to make the world a better place. If we would all strive to do this the world would be indeed a better place.
     A number of us get caught up and we talk about what the Government should do in our community to make this nation a better place. And I am one of those persons who agree with this, which is contrary to some Americans who believe in small government.  It is ethical to make sure the poor and the elderly and the disabled have the basic needs taken care of. But just think what we can do as a community;  if we would take an extra effort to make sure that those that have less than we have are cared for in some way by using our time, talent and treasure, it would go a long way.
     A large number of Americans are unhappy. It has nothing to do with finance or class, culture, religion or how much money one has. But there are many of us that are unhappy. Giving back, volunteering, having a cause is a way of belonging and a way of cultivating the world. Like pruning a tree; we have to do things to prune the community. This is a way of putting positive energy back into the environment and it comes back to us in many ways.
      This year on January 21st,  Martin Luther King’s day has been coined as the annual day of giving. This is a great way to honor the late Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. As he gave of himself to insure the lives of all Americans can be better; it is fitting that we give our lives back to others. But it shouldn’t just be on that very day. It should become part of our life style and a weekly or monthly routine. When something becomes a routine it becomes a habit. And when something becomes a habit it becomes part of us and we do it without thinking. 
     Today we should take a moment and  take a personal inventory and think about what is it in our lives that we are doing or what we can  do to make our community a better place. Or what is it about what we are doing that we can improve upon to make the world a better place. We are all made in the image and likeness of God. It is all of our calling to have a personal thing that we do to give back. So today I not only challenge you, I challenge myself of things that I can do and things that I can do better in my own community to make this world a better place.


No comments:

Post a Comment